Domestic Violence Can be Stopped!

A poster made by Peer Helpers.

Brooke Gilbert, Editor

What is Domestic Violence you might ask well, domestic violence is where someone is violent and aggressive towards someone like a spouse or someone in their home. This is a serious issue not only in Daphne but in the world. Domestic violence does not discriminate anyone can be affected with this. It can happen to people who are married, living together or who are dating.Domestic violence includes behaviors that physically harm, arouse fear, prevent a partner from doing what they wish or force them to behave in ways they do not want.

Healthy relationships are a big part of avoiding domestic violence. In healthy relationships you have boundaries that you and your partner doesn’t cross. You have trust in the relationship. For a healthy relationship you should have good communication between each other.

Healthy relationships doesn’t have to be just a boyfriend or girlfriend it can be just one of your friends. “I think it can be put to a stop if you stop hanging around that person” Khamia Lacey said a sophomore at Daphne High School.

You could also be in a unhealthy relationship which you don’t use any of these boundaries. There isn’t trust in the relationship. “Domestic violence is terrible and no one should ever be in abusive relationships” Harper Rumph said a junior at Daphne High School.

The internet can be helpful to victims of domestic violence to find information and they could even share their stories for other people to see and get help from reading them. Other people can even show their own stories.You could even talk to your school counselor. There is a crisis hotline that you can call if you need to talk to someone the number is 1-800-799-7233.