Prom do’s and don’ts

Brooke Gilbert and Jacob Latham, Editor/Writer

Prom is just around the corner and you probably want to be as prepared as possible whether that means going shopping for that perfect dress or that spiffy tuxedo or the perfect hair and makeup look, finding that girl or guy to dance with or finding that nice car or limousine. These are all good things but in order to get the best of your prom experience and to avoid dangerous situations you might want to do a little more preparing.

Some people get prepared by making a to do list . “ I get my makeup and hair done then go take pictures and then have a nice dinner” said Brooklyn Reeder a senior at Daphne High School.

Something that could be a game changer is having plan of what you are doing before and after you go to prom and also tell your parents where you are going and who you are with just in case something happens or goes wrong and then your parents will you know where and who you are with.

Drinking alcohol at or after prom is definite don’t.  Remember to be safe and try to stay away from illegal substances. You also need to know that if you get caught a prom drunk or drinking you will probably get arrested. Excessive drinking is responsible for more than 4,300 deaths among underage youth each year, and cost the U.S. $24 billion in economic costs.

Here is a list of consequences of under age Drinking

-School problems, such as higher absence and poor or failing grades.
-Social problems, such as fighting and lack of participation in youth activities.
-Legal problems, such as arrest for driving or physically hurting someone while drunk.
– problems, such as hangovers or illnesses.
-Unwanted, unplanned, and unprotected sexual activity.
-Disruption of normal growth and sexual development.
-Physical and sexual assault.
-Higher risk for suicide and homicide.
-Alcohol-related car crashes and other unintentional injuries, such as burns, falls, and drowning.
-Memory problems.
-Abuse of other drugs.
-Changes in brain development that may have lifelong effects.
-Death from alcohol poisoning.

Don’t let anyone try to peer pressure you at prom. Don’t be afraid to walk away from anything that can harm you or others around you.

Another thing to avoid if you find yourself in the situation is impaired driving . Many people can get into wrecks and could even die. In 2015, 10,265 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (29%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States. It could also be really bad if you drink to much you could have to go to the hospital.” A person I know really well was hit by a drunk driver while crossing the street and broke her leg in 12 places “ said Reeder.

Sources:

Center for Disease Control and Prevention