All About Fishing Club

Jacob Latham, Staff Writer

Fishing Club is a group where students ranging from grades 7-12 meet and talk about the best spots to fish seasonally. They also participate in local fishing tournaments in various water types such as salt, bay, and freshwater, taking advantage of the diversity of the area. They also participate in four Kayak Bass Series tournaments that have competitors from six different states. Fishing Club is also a good outlet to meet new people and find fishing buddies. The club adviser is Luke Stewart, a second year teacher at Daphne High who teaches Agri-science, Construction Framing and Welding.

Stewart said, “If you like to fish it’s a great opportunity to meet kids with similar interest and enjoy fishing together, plus we have cool jerseys.”

Mr. Luke Stewart
Austin Carney and Myles Andrews standing with their catches of the day.

Fishing Club does not meet as a group at school, but they do meet at different fishing locations throughout the year. Stewart said, “ The hardest thing was to get sponsors.” Although they did have trouble finding a sponsor they overcame that obstacle and currently have twenty four sponsors, really cool jerseys and very nice gear.

Frequent catches of Fishing Club include bass, bream, and catfish in freshwater areas. Snapper, reds, speckled trout, and triple tail in salt and bay water Due to our location in Baldwin County we have more varied species of fish to choose from than anywhere else in the state.

“If you like to fish and need people to fish with and want to get some cool gear, come join us,” Stewart said.