Model UN: Experience Representation

13 students from Daphne High participated in Model UN that was held in the Fairhope Civic Center on Wednesday and Thursday

Mr. Rosales

Mr. Rosales

Lydia Werling, Editor

While Daphne High school offers a variety of electives for students to choose from, Model UN is possible the most interesting. Students have the chance to debate from points of view they may have never thought of before and explore how the United Nations functions.

“The students get assigned countries and UN committees, and they have to research four topics and write a paper on the topics. Then they have to argue their point in class.” Said Mr. Rosales, the Model UN teacher.

On Wednesday the 29th and Thursday the 30th the Model UN students went to the Model UN convention and had the chance to participate in a large scale debate. Thirteen students participated this year from Daphne High and a total of one hundred participated from the surrounding schools. The schools that participated are Baldwin County High, Daphne High, Fairhope High, Robertsdale High, and Spanish Fort High. The event took place at the Fairhope Civic center and had a duration of two days.

Mr. Rosales

This was a formal event and students had to dress in “Western Business Attire” or their school uniform. The participating students had to be on time and keep track of their name cards and placecards, or they could not participate.

“All schools have the same topics during the school year, and they debate at the convention to see if they can pass resolutions and so forth, it’s really fun and I think the kids really enjoy it.” Rosales said.