Luck of the Irish

Brooke Gilbert, Editor

St. Patrick’s Day is an annual holiday that happens in March. Saint Patrick’s Day, or the Feast of Saint Patrick, is a cultural and religious celebration held on March 17, the traditional death date of Saint Patrick, which was the foremost patron saint of Ireland. Celebrations usually include parades, festivals, and wearing green attire. Christians who belong to denominations also attend church services. Historically the Lenten restrictions on eating and drinking alcohol which means you give up something till easter these were lifted for the day, which has encouraged and propagated the holiday’s tradition of alcohol consumption.

People in our community like going to the parades. “l like the atmosphere of the parades” said Jonathan Cowan, a junior at Daphne High School.

Some fun facts about St Patrick’s Day are According to legend St. Patrick used the three leaf clover to explain the Trinity also known as a shamrock. Also the practicing of dying the river green originated in Chicago in 1962. Irish Americans were so poor so they could not afford certain meals. So on St. Patrick’s Day the best meal they could afford and make was beef and cabbage. It became a staple for the holiday.

St. Patrick was a bishop and after his death and was named Ireland’s patron saint. Celebrations in Ireland were not as extravagant there. When the Irish emigrated to the United States. in the Eighteenth century, Irish soldiers who fought in the Revolutionary War held the first St. Patrick Day parades. The celebrations became a way for the Irish to connect with their roots after they moved to America.