Welcome Home

SGA makes care kits for Under His Wings girls home

SGA members show their gatherings for the Under His Wings girls home.

Jacob Latham

Student Government Association has collected items for the past two weeks; these items are going to teenage girls who are under 19 years of age who just came out of abusive homes. SGA put items together on the 26th of February at 7:30 am,  items include things such as: socks, sponges, school supplies, chewing gum/mints, soap, lotion, sunscreen, toothpaste/toothbrushes, bandages, and lip balm. Usually these teenage girls have been neglected and abused, moreover the items will be given to a non-profit organization called Under his Wings who supply girls with a home environment , on campus education by certified teachers and tutors,  Christian counseling for the girls and families, instructions for life skills and the girls also help others by participating in community services. Mrs. Helms, the SGA sponsor, along with the Student Government Association wanted to help these girls transition into their new homes so they put together Welcome Kits.

“When girls arrive at the home they usually have very few belongings. The intent of the Welcome Kit is to provide them comfort and make them feel loved and welcomed,” said Helms, the SGA sponsor

SGA gave 15 baskets of items which will go a long way and also mean a lot to the girls in Baldwin County. This organization is the only organization that provides residential homes to girls that feel unsafe in Baldwin County and also counseling services at no cost.

“I love it here. For the first time in my life I feel safe.” said Courtney, a resident at Under His Wings

Since this is a non-profit organization Under His Wings solely relies on donations from others. You can get involved by donating by going to their website click ‘support us’ and scroll down to donate or you can fundraise. The website is listed here: https://underhiswingsbaldwin.org/

The mission statement for the Under His Wings program is: Under His Wings is to provide a loving Christian home for at-risk teenage girls, connect them to who they are in the eyes of God and equip them with life skills essential to wholeness.

Jacob Latham, staff

My name is Jacob Latham; I am a sophomore and this is my first year participating on staff of the Daphne Oracle. I am currently involved in peer helper,...