Looking Up to Sky

Shakira Crook, Newspaper Editor

Students Fly Homemade Kites
Students Look Towards The Sky As They Fly Kites

Since the day we were born, we‘ve always looked up to something. Whether it is to a celebrity, a family member, or the outcome of a goal. From day to day people have their own little goals, objectives or things that they’re looking forward to. Earl Nightingale, an American radio speaker, and author, once said that “People with goals succeed because they know where they are going. It’s as simple as that.” Like those who up to the sky, many of us have a goal in which we’re headed.

For the staff and students of Daphne High School, we all have goals that range from trivial day to day tasks to life-changing routes. “One of my goals for my upcoming senior year is scoring high on the ACT. I plan on going through the ACT book and going through some online courses that they offer.” said junior Mckenzie Austin. Another student stated that she was looking forward to receiving the physical proof of her goal, which is her credentials. “My goal is to receive my IB diploma because it’ll show that all my work in the last two years of high school went to something that I found to be meaningful. ” said senior Sophia Mercer. While some have goals mainly focused on their education, others have their eyes set on a more physical reward. “I wanted to be good at soccer and I went by achieving this goal by practicing and playing until I was the best. I looked up to kaka as a model for my success,” said Mr. Duong, Chemistry and Engineering.

Goals and their achievements can be seen and found any and everywhere, as long as a person wants it. One freshman stated that “I don’t have any goals really like I don’t know what I want to do with my life and I probably won’t start caring until I guess the new year.” While some of us have no idea, we also have the others who do, even going as far as having a system to getting it done. “I usually try to have a different goal per day, it could be going to the store and picking up some napkins or even a big as applying and working for a new job position. The thing with goals is you should write them down and put them where you’ll always see them because the more you see the more you do. The other thing is that it can’t be one-sided, you’ve got to have the drive to get it down.” stated Jeanna Mccoy, a Mother.

Although goals are easy to come by, the process of getting it done is harder. “My advice is that I wouldn’t give up, just keep going and putting your best effort even if it seems pointless,” said Sophia Mercer, senior. With the new age of technology, the effort needed to get the job done is slimmed down a bit. Just with a simple tap, you can set up a reminder for a test a day or even hours before. The habit of putting objectives on paper seems to be a very helpful tool.

Goals are the object of a person’s ambition or effort; an aim or desired result. People need something to drive them to keep their momentum going. Whether it is a pat on the back or a million dollars, everyone has goals/things to get done; no matter how big or small. In the words of “Hunger Games” author Suzanne Collins: “Aim higher in case you fall short.”