Yoga, Light of the Soul

Antonio Hamilton, Staff Writer

“Yoga is a light, which once lit, will never dim. The better the practice, the brighter the flame.” – B.K.S. Iyengar

Daphne High School held its Daphne De-Stress in Trojan Hall on September 20th instructed by Rebecca Washburn.

Photo courtesy of the Daphne High School Facebook page

Typically when we think of yoga we either think of a rigorous set of poses that seem near impossible or imagine a cross-legged monk in the lotus position searching for inner peace. Either way, you may be surprised to discover there are many different forms of yoga.

The most common form of yoga would be hatha yoga. Hatha yoga can be defined as any yoga that teaches physical postures; hence, this was the type of yoga featured at the event. However, we can go further to list some sub-categories.

Next, we have Vinyasa yoga which utilizes a series of poses that flow in a dance like harmony. Power yoga is used by many any professional athletes use power yoga because this high intensity yoga can help build muscle. We then have Bikram yoga, also known as hot yoga, its practice is founded in a sauna room(heated typically to 105 degrees). In Bikram, every practice session consists of the same 26 poses. Iyengar yoga adopts props, blocks, straps and chairs that help you move your body into proper alignment. Also, there is the Kundalini yoga. This is a more spiritual based yoga practice that uses reflection and deep introspection through meditation along with either constantly moving poses and metered breathing techniques.

Yoga can give you a new outlook on your life. Not to mention, dexterity, improved athletic performance, and peace. Yoga’s introspective tendencies can give you shocking revelations about your reality. Yoga can bring the final puzzle piece into play, with a practice that gives balance to mind, body, and spirit. So drop the stigma, roll out the mat and protect the function of the organ in your cranial hat.