Social Media’s Potential Consequence

Carieann Wolfe putting on mascara for a Snapchat selfie.

Tamara Russ, Reporter

Social media becomes more and more popular every year. Posting about your life every other day with people you or may not know. With new apps and trends becoming known due to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Snapchat.

The beginning purpose for these apps is to keep up with your friends and family and communicate easier than a phone call. But is that how all people use these applications?

In the past few years social media has become more of a popularity contest. Who gets more likes or followers. Posting the best version of yourself, editing your body or face to make yourself look better than the next person.

“Girls and guys compare themselves more now that apps and everything have grown so much in popularity,” Bradlie Walters, a senior, said.

Recently social media has grown tremendously, being in high school during this process has made it hard for girls and guys to become confident in who they are without comparing themselves to the next account they come across.

Seeing pictures of the popular group at a party you weren’t invited to, or watching your version of beautiful walking around the halls because of the picture they posted last night.

“Social media really has affected me more than I thought, comparing myself to every other girl because of a picture is crazy,” Emily Hunter, a senior, said.

Comparing ourselves to other people has grown since social media has become more and more of a desire to teens and adults.

According to the Child Mind Institution “Teenage and young adult users who spend the most time on Instagram, Facebook and other platforms were shown to have a substantially (from 13 to 66 percent) higher rate of reported depression than those who spent the least time.”

Social media hasn’t only affected a person’s self-esteem but technology can also distracts people from what is going on around them.

“Social media really has affected me a lot, because all I worry about what is going on online and what people think of me,” Carieann Wolfe, a senior, said.

Like sitting class texting your friend, procrastinating your homework because you wanted to watch your friends live stream, going on vacation with your family but you miss everything because you’re staring at your ex-boyfriends last post.

Social media and technology has made the circular earth into a flat 5×2 rectangle, consuming this new society.